Reverse designing

I believe there's a tinge of creativity silently living inside everybody. Often, a creative brain craves for some sort of change in what they see & touch. It may be for a color, contrast, a tactical & logical order, a simplicity in anything we come in contact with. It may be home, a cubicle workspace, car dashboard, sleeping room, pavements, flats we live in. I still remember few girly colleagues of my yester firms decorating their cubicles with a stuffy toys, lovely cards, tiny dolls, god-artifacts, article pin-ups, schedule printouts etc..etc.They just want some change, some nice uplifted look & feel in the space they live. Change is what they expect & it's true change is constant !

Often I get into creative swing when I see a weakly designed spaces, malls, houses, buildings, pavements, staircases, corners, curves, lifts, pale products, odd patch of gardens while roaming around the city. Lot of ideas pops out of my mind. Given a chance how I would have designed that ? How I would've arranged, colorized, restructured, and made it more-userfriendly ?

I think it's common with everybody & approach is what makes a difference with creative thinking. More or less it depends on the creative flair and flexibility of ones imagination. The design-friction is quite common with developers & designers in Software arena. Designers have a counter opinion flag to rise on developers for their lack of designing & visualising capabilities. specially in application, presentation design space. Developers focus more on functionality, rarely on usable & effective visual presentation! May be intra brainstorming, KT sessions might help ease this friction.

This very much applies to my must-not-miss-out vibrant news livewire Slashdot. It's dynamic, it's rapid. But designers resist to agree with the sucking visual design of the site. I've been a fortunate witness of lacking design of the site over the timeline.

Now, it's quite an interesting wide open contest of redesigning Slashdot. Many designers had a hands on refurbishing it in prototype. If time permits, I might mud my hands doing it...

Slashdot Redesign Part III

0 comments: