Queen of the sea


It was a mega event suppose to happen in 3 of our life. Last year September Raj, Nikhil & me were venturing into South east Asia trip.Marked Cambodia as a final destination. At the same time some one was also testing fate beyond cozy cubicle of software company. After hitting early morning dew soaked lovely Singapore aerodrome:

Raj said, "you know what ? If I'm not here, I would have been attending national geographic mission navy selection interview, if gets selected the winner can spend a full month in 'Indian warship."
I joked "chillax maga; not a big deal & it's not in your blood to be in warship :)".
He said, "but Chethu is going for it".
I looked at him for a minute; I thought it might be a guy since the name was boyish- Chethana.
I asked him, "you never told me about this guy"
He said,"it's not a boy, it's a girl"
I asked "who's Chethu by the way ?"
Raj said "she frequents swimming with us, you've seen her, shes works as an HR in a software company"
I was perplexed. "software girl & navy ?! and spending one month in the war ship!"

It was kinda unbelievable. Then I remembered a lean, silent girl with attractive cheek bones, who frequented when we were busy bisecting waters of swimming pool at NGV.
Mind you, this blog is not about our amazing trip to tallest Hindu temple complex in the world; but a tribute to a grittiest girl I've seen in the timid herd of fake safe harbor: Software Industry. Yes ! you heard me right :)
In Seam Reap of Angkorwat, while browsing internet there; Raj announced in huge voice, 'Maga, can u believe: Chethu, made it to final team of selection". I was spellbound ! Since, Indian Navy has involved in it I knew it's not just another boring & ordinary TV reality show,
Nat Geo has collaborated with the Indian Navy and is now all set to embark on a journey on the high seas with battle stations and live weaponry, for the mission of a lifetime. It will showcase the uncharted world of the Indian Navy, replete with warships, submarines and missiles.
When we hit Singapore domestic air lounge, we got to check free Internet. Raj yelled : "hey maga ! you got to believe it ? Chethu, has just moved to final confirmed team". I can imagine how he might be feeling with enthrall. he ushered - "Oh maga, i wanna be there, i wanna be there maga, it was my dream too"
Nat Geo Mission Navy will provide five civilians a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of the Navy. The civilians will be trained and imbued with the courage, grit and determination that is synonymous with the Indian Navy. The most resilient, deserving and valiant of the five finalists will have the Honor of sailing with the Indian Navy's Lehron Ke Sartaj on an international tour.
We said bye-bye to Singapore after 15 days of rocking trip; first thing I did after reaching Bangalore is checking what is this 'mission navy' is all about.
All participants will undergo an interview round, followed by rigorous training to test their physical and mental attributes. The reality format will focus on the culture, working style and other facets of the Indian Navy.
The docu-reality show went on air in January 2009. On the first episode, they showed -all aspirants running 5 kilometers non-stop. One macho gym addict guy was yelling on the camera: " hello ! that's it, these are time passers doing beeline, look at my biceps who can compete with me ?" once the run is over, he was begging for the water in mid way :) !

Event was a real herculean task oriented. More tougher than expected. Very endurance demanding. Chethu climbed one by one step to get to top slot.
I couldn't just stop admiring when she jumped out of roaring helicopter and zoomed into dark ocean and swam to far off boat. I was observing her body language. She looked so composed & elegant when she was about to jump into waters. Imagine the monster waves evoked by helicopter on top of her head and the kind of breathing power one need while zipping fast into dark ocean waters ?! Then I thought, 'yes Chaitanya has it. She is the one & she is not just another lean girl, but she is the real macho. May be even macho's couldn't have done it !'
Finally, can you believe a Bangalore girl made it to national level show who is also our friend ?!
The hindu writes:
Life was very normal for her, leading a monotonous life and working as a HR executive till one day she decided to seek some adventure. And Chaitanya Datla went on to challenge her physical, mental and emotional limits to emerge the winner of the National Geographic Channel’s “Mission Navy: Lehron Ke Sartaj”.
One joke I had to share:
Other-day we friends met for the dinner at Bobby's dhaba at Ulsoor. I was kidding her, "hello my brother Chethu how are you ?". she said something, which was kinda real sarcastic comment as well "yes ! you are right I'm your brother. Because they thought, surely some boy might win at the end. so the award was named as -sartaj, which is meant for masculine :) "

But it was won by our own Chaitanya, the next door girl.
But the more cheerful news came in just today: An adventurous Chaitanya Datla won the Tenzing Norgay Adventure Award' presented by President.

Link : President presents sports awards to Chaitanya Datla

1 comments:

Raj said...

Very well said! Kudos to our own Chaitu, the lean macho lady!