How to mingle with people abroad and be accepted

I've traveled quite a bit to US, UK, Taiwan and South East Asia. As my work demands, have spent most of the time living in hotels and corporate apartments or with friends. Not even a single instance, I was never objected by any native of that domicile. I always tried to strike a communication or wave length some one I meet. I'm sure that's the experience of many.

But oflate since Aussie attack incidents cropping up more frequently, any violence which includes desi citizen, is highlighted in media as a scary scene . I understand the intent of media flashing the news time and again. It might be an awareness act to grab the attention of the nation where incident happened. When you're hurt on the streets of unknown country, there's hardly anyone to help you.

I'm sure, there are lot who take the face value of everything appears in media. I believe, media has a larger role to educate the mindset of Indian's traveling abroad.
'Be a Roman while in Rome’ – is a commonly heard adage. Observe the life style of people around you and rearrange yours accordingly.. Talking or laughing in high pitch is not acceptable any where.The natives in most of the countries, smile at you even if they don’t know you. But we smile only when we see acquaintances. Learn to smile, wave or wish when you come across unknown people, it does not hurt you.
I found a cool read about how to be a safe citizen in another country. I guess it's known to most of us, but no harm in reading it again.

>> How to mingle with people abroad

0 comments: